We may use affiliate links in our recipe posts. When you click an affiliate link, we get a small compensation at no cost to you. See Our Affiliate Policy for more info.
Delicious Guyanese-style Chow Mein
Here are the steps to making a delicious chow mein dish…..Guyanese style.
- 1½ tbsp garlic Finely chopped
- ¾ cup purple onions
- ¾ cup yellow onions
- 2 cups shiitake mushrooms sliced
- ¾ cup carrots grated (Do not cook the carrots)
- 2 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- 2 tbsp cassareep
- 1 tbsp black pepper
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 1 tbsp soya sauce
- ½ cup water
- Choose any pasta of your choice and follow its cooking instructions. Be sure to rinse the noodles with cool water and fully drain all the water out of the noodles. Then set aside.
- Make sure you wash and grate 3/4 cup of carrots.
- DO NOT cook the carrots. The carrots will go into the chow mein near the end of the recipe.
- Sauté the mushrooms with a little olive oil (1½ tablespoons) in large pan.
- Add black pepper.
- Add the sea salt.
- Once all the liquid from the mushrooms had reduced, remove from pan and put in a separate container and set aside.
- Combine all chopped vegetable (except the green onions and carrots) in large pan that was used to saute mushroom earlier.
- Add 1 tablespoon of oil in the pan.
- Add soy sauce.
- Add the half cup of water.
- Let everything cook down until the water has evaporated (on low heat).
- Stir everything in the pan a few times to ensure even cooking.
- Now add the green onions and mushrooms in the pan.
- Next add the grated fresh carrots.
- Mix everything well in the large pan.
- The meal is done and ready to be served.
Calories: 157kcalCarbohydrates: 21gProtein: 4gFat: 8gSaturated Fat: 1gPolyunsaturated Fat: 1gMonounsaturated Fat: 5gSodium: 575mgPotassium: 570mgFiber: 5gSugar: 7gVitamin A: 4020IUVitamin C: 8mgCalcium: 39mgIron: 1mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!